How was your Christmas? We’re in the home stretch — Stevivor’s GOTY Awards for 2019 are almost done and today’s all about best audio and sound design.
Stevivor’s Best Audio & Sound design of 2019
We combined soundtracks, audio queues and anything else aural you can think of for this category, and no matter what we were thinking about, Control was the easy winner. Remedy’s latest beat out runners-up Resident Evil 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Gears 5.
“Communication and the difficulty to understand are themes. Everyone seems to use their own language. We can hear Jesse’s thoughts, as she constantly breaks the 4th wall to address Polaris, her strange guardian angel, as much as you, the player,” Remedy’s Sam Lake said to Stevivor.
“The Board commands Jesse in messed-up subtitles. The Hiss, the enemy, chants an endless nonsensical litany, almost like an incantation. Ahti the janitor guides her in a broken mix of Finnish and English, and yes, sings a Finnish tango song.”
Control also took home our award for Best Action game.
Our Stevivor GOTY Awards will take a break for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day — we’ll see you back here on Boxing Day to start wrapping things up.
Stevivor GOTY Awards 2019
- Best PS4 game/exclusive: Concrete Genie
- Best Xbox One game/exclusive: Gears 5
- Best Switch game/exclusive: Luigi’s Mansion 3
- Best PC game/exclusive: Disco Elysium
- Best Indie game: Untitled Goose Game
- Best Sports/Racing game: Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
- Best RPG: The Outer Worlds
- Best Action/Action Adventure game: Control
- Best Multiplayer game: Apex Legends
- Best Ongoing game: Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and Rainbow Six: Siege
- Best Audio & Sound design: Control
- Best Narrative: Control
- Best Direction: Control
- Game of the Year 2019: Control