With both the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro on the market — and Project Scorpio set for next year — many Australians are thinking of taking the plunge to a 4K TV.
The thing is, not all 4K TVs are alike. It’s important that consumers choose a new set that meets the demands of their console of choice.
At a bare minimum, here’s what we think should influence your decision:
- Refresh rate: While 60Hz will do in a pinch, 120Hz or even 240Hz is much preferred
- HDMI support: The 4K delivery standard is HDMI 2.0
- HDCP support: HDCP 2.2 is preferred
- HDR support: HDR 10 will make the most of your console
- RGB support: Required
- Size: This differs depending on the distance you are from your television. At less than 5 feet, a 40″ TV works best. 55″ sets are best from 4.5 to 7 feet, and 65″ sets from 5.5 to 8 feet.
If you’ve more cash to spend, you might also consider the following:
- LED or OLED: OLED is better, but more expensive
- Curved, or not: This is really personal preference, as there are pros and cons with each. Curved sets offer a more immersive viewing experience, but tend to reflect light and have more ‘sweet spots’ to find
Are there any other important factors you think consumers should be aware of? Do you know of a great bargain that ticks all the above boxes? Sound off in the comments below!