The updates big ticket items are the ability to suspend games, find and connect with friends more quickly and easily and to offer more ways to customise and share PS4 moments.
From the PlayStation Blog;
- Suspend/Resume — Supported by nearly all of your PS4 games, you can jump in and out of your games with just the press of the PS button. Quickly switch from Rest Mode to powered-up so you can pick up where you left off.
- Back-Up and Restore HDD to USB — Back-up and restore your hard disc drive data associated with users on your PS4, including settings, saved data, screenshots and video clips as well as games, patches and download data, to and from an external USB drive.
- Find and Connect with Friends — “Yukimura” adds to an already robust set of social tools, bringing several updates to continue making PS4 the best place to play with your friends.
- Share Earned Trophies and Optimize Your Trophy List — We know that Trophies are important to many gamers, so we’re bringing more control with how you show them off including automatic trophy screenshots, sharing trophies on social media with the SHARE button, deleting games with 0% trophy completion and more.
- Improved and Expanded Accessibility Options — New options added to customize the user experience.
- Remote Play and Share Play — For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60 fps for both Remote Play and Share Play on supported devices.
- Automatic Installation for System Software Updates — Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
- Sub-Account Upgrade — Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
- Verified Accounts — Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
- Dailymotion — Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.
For a full list of features check out the PlayStation Blog. Sony has admitted that the suspend/resume function will not work with some titles that do not support it. A list of the titles was not revealed. It also advised that to enjoy 60fps with Share Play a robust wi-fi connection will be required.
No word as yet on the integration of the new PlayStation Music features, including Spotify. It was rumoured to be included as part of this update, but it looks as though we’ll have to wait a little longer.
What do you think of the new features?
Update – PlayStation Australia has just advised that the update will be available today, 26 March.
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a small commission if you click-through and make a purchase. Stevivor is an independent outlet and our journalism is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.