Call of Duty Modern Warfare Spec Ops Operations and Missions have today been detailed by Activision Blizzard.
Spec Ops will support cross-play with one caveat — a special mode called Survival has a one-year exclusivity period on PS4. Otherwise, you’re good to go. Here’s what the publisher had to communicate about the mode:
- Operations: As you infil into one of the many war-torn zones within Special Ops, you and your team have full latitude on how to accomplish your Operations. This Special Ops game mode is a 4 player matchmade activity centered around interconnected experiences that take the form of objectives, each culminating in the removal or destruction of a key logistical aspect of the Al-Qatala army.
- Employ different strategies. Go in quietly or tackle the insurrection head-on. The enemy reacts to your team’s decisions, meaning the outcome of any battle can change.
- Missions: Complementing the multi-stage Operations, and also available across all platforms, are additional Missions, which can be played solo or with up to four players. Whereas Operations give you the widest breadth of strategic and tactical choice, Missions are a more curated experience where your proficiency with specific weapons, killstreaks, and other tools will be tested. These Missions are extremely replayable, and you’re able to achieve a 1, 2, or 3-star ranking based on your performance. Naturally, there will be an “Infinity Ward time” that you can attempt to beat!
- Mode Cross-Progression Rewards: As you complete any of the Special Ops content, expect to receive impressive rewards for your combat expertise. Examples include additional unlockable items and equipment that can be utilized in both Multiplayer and Special Ops Modes.
- Loadouts and progression: Operations carry over all the Operators, Loadouts, and Progress made in Multiplayer. You have access to your own preferred arsenal to carry out any and all Operations in whatever way you and your squad chooses. Bring your favored equipment, as well as your specific Operator, into the fray.
- An Uneasy Alliance: The Armistice Fireteam: As these Operations involve a temporary alliance between Coalition and Allegiance forces, you’re free to pick any Operator you wish. Old differences are set aside. For now!
- Cross-Mode Loadouts: Next you can bring your preferred Loadouts, including your preferred Primary and Secondary Weapons, Perks, and Tactical and Lethal Equipment so you’re comfortable in this new combat zone. Got a favored Sniper Rifle or Shotgun that you’ve meticulously crafted, and tailored to your playstyle? Bring it along!
- Know Your Roles: Specific to Special Ops are “Roles”: Prior to dropping into play, you’re able to pick from Assault, Recon, Engineer, Demolition, Medic, and Heavy. Each role comes equipped with a Field Upgrade and a class-specific perk. Pick the Role that best suits and reinforces your style of play.
- Killstreaks: Prior to beginning an Operation, you’re able to pick three types of Munitions that offer a similar effect to Killstreaks in Multiplayer Mode. Those Munition boxes aren’t part of your equipment but are rather located in a random location across the map; it’s up to you to find and utilize them, whether you’ve chosen (for example) a Precision Airstrike or a Gunship to aid you.
You can check out a trailer below or head here for Activision’s full blog post.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare heads to Windows PC, Xbox One and PS4 on 25 October.