One of Resident Evil 7‘s Achievements/Trophies, “The Devil is in the Details”, is awarded when you read all files in one playthrough. To help, we thought we’d collate them all for you here.
How to use this guide
This guide will be split up into “point of no return” sections, meaning you should collect all items on a page before continuing on in Resident Evil 7‘s story. Each page will be marked by a spoiler, though as small of one as we can muster, telling you the action that will stop you from collecting items. The files themselves are then split up into sections of the map. They are not necessarily chronological.
Ready to go?
Full list of files
Missing one or two? Here’s how the all 32 files are displayed in-menu. You can compare this list against your own to see which files you’re missing.
- Email From Mia
- List Of Names (Front)
- List Of Names (Back)
- Home-improvement Store Receipt
- Newspaper Article – Missing People
- Newspaper Article – Over 20 Missing
- Jack’s Journal
- Jack’s Memo
- Travis’ Memo (Front)
- Travis’ Memo (Back)
- Incinerator Room Memo
- Memo About Relief
- Doctor’s Letter
- Zoe’s Investigation Notes
- Marguerite’s Warning
- Serum Documentation
- Marguerite’s Notebook
- Memo On Deputy’s Head
- Lucas’ Journal
- Torn Page From Journal
- Clock Memo
- Memo On Burnt Corpse
- E-Necrotoxin Document
- Infection Report
- Email Log
- R&D Report [1 of 2]
- R&D Report [2 of 2]
- Jim’s Letter
- Giovanni’s Will
- Mechanic’s Memo
- Tattered Secret Document
Point of no return for this page: Complete the following before using the bolt cutters to access Mia.
- Email From Mia: As soon as the game starts, head into your map, tab over to files and search the email itself. If you forget to do this then, the item should be inside an Item Box.
Guest House B1
- List Of Names (Front) and List Of Names (Back): Two files in one! Right beside the bolt cutters needed to free Mia. Be sure to flip the file around to see its backside.
Point of no return for this page: Solving Lucas’ birthday puzzle and heading to the pier.
Main House B1 (Processing Area)
- Incinerator Room Memo: In the Incinerator Room (aka the morgue?), above the sink.
Main House 1F
- Home-improvement Store Receipt: This is in the Dining Area, where you “eat” with the family. Look to the notice board before you head to the kitchen.
- Newspaper Article – Missing People: This is found in the Living Room, just off the Dining Area.
- Newspaper Article – Over 20 Missing: This is in the Main Hall, near the entrance to the first shadow puzzle. This was written by Resident Evil Outbreak‘s Alyssa Ashcroft.
- Travis’ Memo (Front) and Travis’ Memo (Back): This two-in-one file is in the safe room right before the stairs that lead to the creepy basement. Remember to flip the file over to read both sides.
Main House 2F
- Jack’s Journal: In the Recreation Room behind the bar.
- Jack’s Memo: In the Recreation Room beside the Antique Coin and the Mr. Everywhere.
- Memo About Relief: Found in Grandma’s Room, accessible with the Scorpion Key. It’s on the desk.
- Doctor’s Letter: Also in Grandma’s Room, accessible with the Scorpion Key. It’s in a drawer near the bed.
- Lucas’ Journal: This is in the Kid’s Room (aka Lucas’ bedroom), on the left as you enter.
- Torn Page From Journal: This is in the Kid’s Room (aka Lucas’ bedroom), on the right as you enter.
- Clock Memo: This is in the Master Bedroom, beside the clock puzzle.
- Zoe’s Investigation Notes: This can be found in Zoe’s trailer, near the Magnum.
- Memo on Deputy’s Head: This is part of the main story and happens after your first call from Lucas.
Old House 1F
- Marguerite’s Warning: Beside the door locked with the Crow Key.
Old House 2F
- Serum Documentation: This is in the Altar, the room you’ve used the Crow Key to access. Hard to miss.
- Marguerite’s Notebook: In the room with the piano, just off the Altar.
Testing Area 2F
- Memo On Burnt Corpse: Story-related. Can’t miss it.
Point of no return for this page: This has to be done playing as Mia, and before you locate Ethan. One file is available in the present and on a VHS tape.
Wrecked Ship 1F
- Bunk bed room: On the bottom bunk in the corner.
- Room connected to the bunk bed room: On the table.
Wrecked Ship 2F
- Orders: On the desk where you start the VHS tape, or collected after the VHS tape in the same room.
- Mechanic’s Memo: This is the memo beside the broken elevator’s fuse and cable ports — which means the file isn’t always on this floor (though this is where is starts off). You get it.
Wrecked Ship 3F
- Tattered Secret Document: Where your pal died, basically.
Point of no return for this page: Grab the remaining files as Ethan, before escaping from the salt mine.
- Email Log: This one comes before the remaining files, even though it’s not in the list that way. It’s on a laptop before the lab proper.
- E-Necrotoxin Document: In the lab. This is on the machine that you use to make the actual E-Necrotoxin.
- Infection Report: This is on a shelf just as you enter the lab.
- R&D Report [1 of 2]: To the right of the E-Necrotoxin machine.
- R&D Report [2 of 2]: Up the stairs after the E-Necrotoxin machine.
Resident Evil 7 guides: The definitive list
- Resident Evil 7: All file locations
- Resident Evil 7: All 20 Mr. Everywhere locations
- Resident Evil 7: All 18 Antique Coin locations
- Resident Evil 7: All Treasure Photos and Treasure locations
- Resident Evil 7: All end game unlocks
- Resident Evil 7: All franchise easter eggs
- Resident Evil 7: Hidden puzzle and Stabilizer guide
- Resident Evil 7: M21 shotgun guide
- Resident Evil 7: M19 handgun guide
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a small commission if you click-through and make a purchase. Stevivor is an independent outlet and our journalism is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.