Pre-orders get a 12-month subscription to Viveport Infinity.
HTC Vive Cosmos Australian availability and pricing was today detailed by HTC. VR fans can expect the headset from 4 October, priced at $1,299 AUD. Pre-orders are available from today, 12 September.
“Since Vive began our VR journey, we’ve continued to refine and improve on what a premium VR experience can and should be,” said Thomas Dexmier, ANZ Country Manager, HTC Vive. “Cosmos offers an unmatched experience and is also our most versatile headset yet—with inside-out tracking, options in the future for different faceplates, unlimited content in the box, and the new user interface, we see limitless possibilities for XR customers.”
The Vive Cosmos sports a 2880 x 1700 combined pixel resolution — an 88% increase over the original Vive — alongside new LCD panels that “reduce the distance between pixels and combined with real RGB displays minimize screen-door effect,” HTC confirmed.
The headset will support mods, including its first, the Vive Cosmos External Tracking Mod. It will provide support “for customers that want to continue to use their existing Lighthouse base stations for tracking scenarios, but also take advantage of the superior performance of Vive Cosmos,” HTC said. Expect the first mod in early 2020.
Those that pre-order will also receive a 12-month Viveport Infinity subscription as part of their purchase. Viveport Infinity provides unlimited access to hundreds of VR apps, games, and videos including A Fisherman’s Tale, Fujii, and Ninja Legends, alongside videos from outlets like GoPro, Discovery Channel and Animal Planet.
You can check out proper HTC Vive Cosmos specs below.
Vive Cosmos Specs
- Screen: Dual 3.4″ LCD diagonal
- Resolution: 1440 x 1700 pixels per eye (2880 x 1700 pixels combined)
- Refresh rate: 90 Hz
- Field of view: 110 degrees
- Audio: Built-in stereo headphones
- Required PC connectivity: USB 3.0, DisplayPort™ 1.2
- Peripheral Ports: USB-C 3.0, proprietary connection to mods
- Tracking: no minimum space requirements for standing/seated, minimum 2m x 1.5m for room-scale mode
- Module Faceplates: Vive Motion Mod (ships with Cosmos) and Vive Cosmos External Tracking Mod (sold separately)
- Vive Wireless Adapter support: Yes, sold separately with attach kit. Available PCIe slot required