We’re in the midst of our overall Top 5 Games of the Year for 2014, now awarding fourth place. And it was a massive tie.
With equal points, we award fourth GOTY to Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 AND Wolfenstein: The New Order.
“Assassin’s Creed: Unity is a great current-gen addition to the franchise,” Steve said of Unity. “At times, the franchise seems as if it’s bitten off more than it could chew, but Unity does a great job of evolving the series while really taking a look at what drew players to it in the first place.”
“Wolfenstein: The New Order isn’t an innovative, genre defining game, but that’s not a negative,” Leo said of MachineGames’ shooter in his review. “It benefits greatly from simply being what it is: a rock solid, perfectly-paced story-driven FPS. Nothing more, nothing less.”
Finally, here’s what Shane had to say about Far Cry 4: “While Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed: Unity fought hard to evolve the franchise… by taking it back to its roots, it’s as if Far Cry 4 did the opposite, realising the publisher had hit pay dirt with Far Cry 3 and not upsetting things with this new release.”
Stay tuned throughout the week for the rest of our GOTY 2014.
Stevivor’s Game of the Year 2014
- Best Xbox exclusive: Titanfall
- Best PlayStation exclusive: inFAMOUS: Second Son
- Best Wii U exclusive: Mario Kart 8
- Best handheld/mobile game: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Best shooter: Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Best sports/racing game: Forza Horizon 2
- Best action/adventure game: Alien: Isolation
- Best RPG: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Stevivor’s overall Top 5 Games of the Year
- Fifth place: Titanfall
- Fourth place: Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein: The New Order