Nintendo has confirmed that Switch cartridges are coated in a special “bittering agent” to prevent people from eating them.
“To avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion, keep the game card away from young children. A bittering agent (Denatonium Benzoate) has also been applied to the game card. This bittering agent is non-toxic,” a statement from Nintendo to IGN reads.
This, of course, prompted video game journalists to decide they needed to try out cartridges as a snack.
I put that Switch cart in my mouth and I'm not sure what those things are made of but I can still taste it. Do not try this at home.
— Jeff Gerstmann (@jeffgerstmann) February 25, 2017
Okay, so, turns out Nintendo Switch cartridges taste awful so kids won't eat them. I, uh, just licked one and can confirm: TASTES BAD MAN.
— Alanah Pearce (@Charalanahzard) March 1, 2017
Little. Deadly (but not really) — don’t eat your video games, folks.
Top image: Mashable