With so much going on inside Battlefield 5, developer DICE wanted to make sure that you felt a real connection to each mode and system. The key to doing so is your company, a team of soldiers who use vehicles and weapons that you have full control over.
“For the first time in the history of Battlefield, we want players to be able to create their only company and bring those soldiers on their journey,” Senior Producer Lars Gustavvson said.
“In Battlefield 5, you’re going to be able to grow your soldiers,” DICE’s Ryan McArthur added. “Your soldiers, your vehicles, your weapons that you’ve adapted to fit your needs. Once you’ve built this amazing company, we’re going to take you on a journey, together as a community. We’re going to embark on these challenges together.”
McArthur described your company as a unified connective journey; “the connective tissue inside Battlefield 5. Tides of War is your journey through the war.”
Players will be able to customise each soldier – male or female — included in Battlefield’s four classes (and per faction, Allies or Axis), applying archetypes like the Paratrooper for the Recon class that will come with unique perks and abilities. On top of this, players will unlock items like face paint, jackets, vests and legware to create a character that is distinctly their own. The same customisation options will apply to vehicles and to weaponry.
“We want you to build a deep connection with your soldiers, from both a gameplay and a visual perspective,” McArthur said.
“Every weapon will have 5-7 different parts – stocks, muzzles, sights – that will allow you to apply your own personal style.” Players can mix-and-match to create an item that’s uniquely theirs.
Battlefield 5 heads to Windows PC, Xbox One and PS4 between 11-19 October.
Battlefield 5: All you need to know
- You say it, “Battlefield 5” but are supposed to write it as “Battlefield V”
- Battlefield 5 takes place during World War II
- Battlefield 5 has 3 modes: War Stories, Combined Arms and multiplayer
- Here’s how Battlefield 5’s gameplay loop has changed
- Battlefield 5 confirmed locales include Norway, France and Africa
- Battlefield 5 ditches the Premium Pass so everyone gets new content
- Battlefield 5 Tides of War system will release new, free content instead of Premium Pass
- Battlefield 5 new company system provides tons of customisation
- Battlefield 5’s fortifications and towing are its gameplay-changing features
- Battlefield 5 has three separate release dates
Stevivor was flown to London, England by EA for the Battlefield 5 reveal.
This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a small commission if you click-through and make a purchase. Stevivor is an independent outlet and our journalism is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.