The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild supports amiibo, but it’s a bit tricky to figure out how it all works. Luckily, we’ve the answers.
Follow our handy steps below and you’ll be all set!
Initial amiibo set up
First, you need to set up amiibo usage:
- Boot up Zelda and hit the + button. Then, go into System and Options.
- The first option is amiibo — set that to Use amiibo.
All done — nothing to it, eh?
How to scan amiibo
Once you’ve turned scanning on, it’ll appear as a Rune alongside your remote bombs and the like.
- Activate your amiibo Rune with the up arrow and right stick.
- Use L to point to a patch of land to drop goodies on — it’ll appear as a yellow circle if accepted, or a yellow X if not.
- Touch your amiibo of choice to the NFC touchpoint — the screen should tell you where that is the first time, depending on which controller you’re using.
- Hit A to activate the amiibo drop.
Items will literally rain from the sky at this point.
Which amiibo unlocks what?
Any amiibo works inside Breath of the Wild, and each will drop different items:
- Any non-Zelda amiibo: Food, material items — nothing of great value.
- Breath of the Wild Archer Link: Bow-type weapons, food, etc.
- Breath of the Wild Bokoblin: Powerful club-type weaponry.
- Breath of the Wild Guardian: Rare weaponry (sometimes ancient options).
- Breath of the Wild Horse Rider Link: Unique horse saddle, food, weaponry.
- Breath of the Wild Zelda: The Hylian Shield, plus plants, etc.
- 8-Bit Link: A bunch of barrels, each containing items like food or rupees. You’ll also get pieces of Link’s classic tunic.
- Ocarina of Time Link: Raw meat, plus pieces of the Ocarina of Time costume or weaponry.
- Super Smash Bros. Ganondorf: Cooking and crafting materials, rare weaponry.
- Super Smash Bros. Link: Epona (one-time only), then food items and items of Link’s Twilight Princess costume.
- Super Smash Bros. Zelda or Super Smash Bros. Shiek: Cooking and crafting materials, weaponry, or Shiek’s armor or weaponry.
- Twilight Princess Wolf Link: Wolf Link will spawn as an ally.
- Wind Waker Link or Toon Link: A ton of fish, plus an item of the Wind Waker costume or weaponry.
- Wind Waker Zelda: Plants and a chest containing a shield.
How often can I scan amiibo?
Once per day.