Home » News » One-third of Aussie game devs earn less than minimum wage
News

One-third of Aussie game devs earn less than minimum wage

One-third of Aussie game developers earn less than minimum wage, a survey by Game Workers Unite Australia suggests.

The survey, released ahead of Melbourne International Games Week, had 82% of its 155 respondents saying they’re most concerned about income, followed by overall job security (at 77%).

Only 30% of those surveyed said they’d been able to secure full-time, permanent, salaried employment in the gaming industry. The remaining 70% of respondents are either full-time contractors, part-time workers or freelancers.

Of all surveyed, 35% are earning less than $50,000 AUD per year — a qualified Aussie game developer is entitled to an absolute legal minimum wage of $49,998 AUD, Game Workers Unite Australia points out.

Of those surveyed, it’s unclear how many are qualified developers. Additionally, only 52% of respondents have indicated they work full-time hours.

You can look at the infographic, below, for full survey responses. What do you make of the results?



This article may contain affiliate links, meaning we could earn a small commission if you click-through and make a purchase. Stevivor is an independent outlet and our journalism is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative.

About the author

Steve Wright

Steve's the owner of this very site and an active games journalist for the past ten years. He's a Canadian-Australian gay gaming geek, ice hockey player and fan. Husband to Matt and cat dad to Wally and Quinn.