Uncharted 4: Action-adventure Game of the Year 2016
A pretty easy win by Nathan Drake and company.
Yesterday was the (lacklustre) start of Stevivor’s 2016 Game of the Year awards. Our staff have painstaking argued with one another for hours, creating a decisive list of our favourite games across a variety of genres.
Kicking things off is the grand-daddy of action-adventure games, easily taking out the top spot in the genre in 2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.
“A Thief’s End is not only the Uncharted game that surpasses all expectations, it’s the best in Naughty Dog’s critically acclaimed catalogue,” Ben said of Nathan Drake’s latest in our review.
Simply put, Stevivor considers Uncharted 4 the pinnacle of the action-adventure circuit, easily besting its competitors. Despite an early release this year, it’s not easily forgotten — especially considering a newfound resurgence thanks to PS4 Pro. Upcoming, connected-but-not DLC doesn’t hurt either.
Runner up: Dark Souls III almost took the gong from Nathan Drake and friends, but in the end, Stevivor staffers couldn’t agree whether or not From Software’s latest was to be considered an action-adventure game or an RPG. Amazing, refined combat mechanics almost got it over the line.
STEVIVOR’S GOTY 2016
- Best virtual reality game: Nothing!
- Best action-adventure game: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Best re-released game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Best role-playing game: Dark Souls III
- Best platform exclusive game: Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Best strategy game: XCOM 2
- Best shooter game: Battlefield 1
- Best sport game: Dirt Rally and Forza Horizon 3
- Wooden spoons: Way too many to name here
- Stevivor staff picks
- Reader’s choice: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End