Now that gamers ’round the world can jump into Fallout 4, we thought we’d give you some handy tips to keep busy in the Wasteland.
This tip will provide you your own little place in the Wasteland — and in a Vault, to boot!
Vault 81 has a pretty damn interesting story behind it, and while we won’t really spoil it in the instructions below, we’ll give you a fairly good idea of how to procure your own room within the joint. Here we go:
- Head to Vault 81 — it, like most other things, is southwest from Vault 111. Go right south and just a bit east, and you’ll see the river that runs around it. Screenshots below (click to see a larger version):
- To actually gain entrance into the Vault, you will need to hand over three Fusion Cores. Before you freak out, rest assured: they’re fairly common once you get into the swing of things.
- Inside, accept a tour from the adorable Vault Dweller known as Austin (below). He’ll take you around to meet everyone — including a Doctor, a hairdresser that can change your current ‘do and more.
- See that cat above? Yeah, it’s important too — it’ll escape from the Vault at some point, so accept a quest from Austin’s friend to go and track it down.
- Go and grab that cat! Once you have, head back to the Vault to find out the next (and mysterious — ooooooh!) portion of Vault 81’s story. It’ll take you through a sequence with a ton of mole rats, so prepare yourself!
- Once you’ve taken down some mole rats and made a decision — netting a new companion AND a Bobblehead along the way — you’ll be accepted into the Vault 81 family. As such, they’ll give you a room of your own, below:
More Fallout 4 guides:
- Interactive collectibles map
- All Bobblehead locations and associated perks guide
- Aliens have (crash) landed in Fallout 4: How to get the Alien Blaster
- Where to get Power Armor (and how to use it!)
- Get Power Armor and a Fat Man within the game’s first hour
- Use this infinite caps glitch before its patched
- Settlement crafting explained
- Crafting material common locations guide
- Cosplay as Han Solo and the Silver Shroud
- Get a room and make friends in Vault 81
- How to find Vault 75 (and get one more Bobblehead!)
- Here are a bunch of cheat codes for Windows PC!
- Turn off the frame rate cap on Windows PC using an Nvidia card
- Can’t find Dogmeat in Sanctuary? Build him a home!
- Here are the 924 names Codsworth can call you
- Here are all the default male and female main character faces