Users are taking to NeoGAF and Reddit to complain their PS4 Pro and 4K television aren’t playing nice with one another. In most circumstances, the 4K television plugged into the PS4 Pro will merely display a black screen, making it rather difficult to use.
The apparent reason for this issue lies with the PS4 Pro’s HDCP setting. For now, most are finding luck by changing the PS4 Pro to the outdated HDCP 1.4 standard, rather than relying on its newest version. If you’re stuck with a black screen, it wouldn’t hurt to give it a try.
Here’s what you can do, with thanks to Redditor Bravo514:
- Make sure your PS4 is off
- Plug the hdmi into the 4K 60hz port on your tv
- Turn your tv on
- Hold down the power button on your PS4 until it beeps twice (Safe mode)
- Change HDCP setting to 1.4 only
- PS4 will restart and you’ll probably still have no signal
- Turn PS4 off and get back to Safe Mode (step 4)
- Choose change resolution which will restart PS4
- If you get an image after PS4 restarts then choose the yuv420 option. Hooray!
- If you got no signal still after PS4 restarted then go back to safe mode and go back to HDCP and choose automatic
- Got back to safe mode again and choose change resolution and then choose yuv420
- If still not working then try the above steps a couple more times
This might work for you, or might not — but if it does, be aware that HDR in most apps, especially Netflix, will not work. Most apps rely on the new HDCP standard to deliver HDR.
While it’s not very comforting, it’s likely the issue will be fixed by a future firmware update on your television or even the PS4 Pro itself. Hang in there!