Dark Souls III: Role-playing Game of the Year 2016
The sadists have spoken.
Stevivor’s GOTY 2016 awards continue this week, ahead of a chance for you, our readers, to weigh in.
Today’s award goes to the best RPG of the year: Dark Souls III.
The game that almost won our action-adventure title of 2016 too is praised for tight combat mechanics and stats-driven attributes that a traditional genre enthusiast will fall in love with.
“Dark Souls III is not for everyone, but for those that do give it the time required that it takes to learn, they’ll hopefully walk away from the game satisfied like I did,” Luke said in our review.
Runners up: Both Pokémon Sun and Moon and Final Fantasy XV were praised by Stevivor staff for different reasons. Pokémon has rejuvenated the franchise while keeping it close to its roots, while Final Fantasy caught our attention by being inclusive and traditionalist both at the same time.
STEVIVOR’S GOTY 2016
- Best virtual reality game: Nothing!
- Best action-adventure game: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Best re-released game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Best role-playing game: Dark Souls III
- Best platform exclusive game: Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Best strategy game: XCOM 2
- Best shooter game: Battlefield 1
- Best sport game: Dirt Rally and Forza Horizon 3
- Wooden spoons: Way too many to name here
- Stevivor staff picks
- Reader’s choice: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End