Zelda: Breath of the Wild guide: Cooking tips, tricks and recipes
Bring out Link's inner chef.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is at times complex, so we’ve made a guide that’ll help you with cooking, including tasty recipes Link can try.
Cooking requires at least two things: ingredients and a fire. Ideally, you’ll have a cooking pot too.
But I don’t have a pot!
Yes, you do. The thing is, it’s not an item that you can take with you; you’ll have to find one and use it on the spot.
Two examples of pots, early on are as follows:
- Outside the Old Man’s cabin (Great Plateau)
- Outside the shop in Kakariko Village (North of Necluda)
How to cook
Once you’ve found a fire — or, preferably, a pot with a fire — you can start making dishes. If you have flint and wood, you can make a fire yourself.
Cooking involves holding food items and adding them to your fire. Here’s how to cook:
- Ensure the fire is already lit.
- Go into the menu, highlight a food item and press X. You’ll enter the hold menu.
- Hit A to add the item; you can hold 5 items at one time. Repeat the above to select the ingredients you want to use.
- Target the pot/fire and hit A to start cooking.
- Wait a bit. You may get lucky and get special bonuses — via RNG — while your meal cooks.
- You’ll also get special bonuses during Ganon’s Blood Moon.
Here’s what we’ve found so far. Feel free to add your own in the comments below!
- Energizing Meat and Mushroom Skewer: Meat, Stamella Mushroom (restores hearts, stamina)
- Fish and Mushroom Skewer: Fish, non-temperature impacting mushroom (Restores hearts)
- Glazed Meat: Hearty Truffle, raw meat, Courser Bee honey (restores hearts)
- Hearty Fried Wild Green: Hearty Radish (restores hearts; temporarily adds hearts)
- Hearty Mushroom Skewer: Hearty Truffle (restores hearts; temporarily adds hearts)
- Hearty Omelette: Hearty Truffle, Bird Egg (restores hearts; temporarily adds hearts)
- Hearty Simmered Fruit: Hearty Durian (restores hearts; temporarily adds hearts)
- Hearty Simmered Mushrooms: Hearty Radish, Hearty Truffle (restores hearts; temporarily adds hearts)
- Salt-Grilled Meat: Meat, Rock Salt (restores hearts)
- Seafood Rice Balls: Fruit, mushroom, carrots, fish, rice (restores hearts)
- Steamed Fish: Fruit, Hyrule Herb, fish (restores hearts)
The combinations are almost endless. Take a look at your ingredients if you need something specific — the Warm Safflina, as an example, will provide cold resistance, while the Cool Safflina provides protection from the heat. Other buffs include:
- Chilly: Resistance to heat
- Energizing: Restores stamina
- Enduring: Extra stamina
- Electro: Resistance to shock
- Fireproof: Flame Guard
- Hasty: Increases movement speed
- Hearty: Restores full health
- Mighty: buffs Attack
- Sneaky: buffs Stealth
- Spicy: Resistance to cold
- Tough: buffs Defence