XCOM 2: Best strategy Game of the Year 2016
And not because the Sectoids told us to vote it up.
2016 was a great year for puzzle and strategy games, but in the end, it’s hard to go past XCOM 2.
In reviewer Stuart Gollan’s words, “XCOM 2 made [XCOM] Enemy Unknown seem like a bad game.”
“It had me eyeing off my lounge room as I ate dinner, noting the cover values of the furniture and how the coffee table didn’t fit into the perfect grid of an XCOM level,” he said in his review. “It stressed me out, made me curse my own stupidity when things went wrong and made me feel like a genius for navigating impossible situations. For over 40 hours I was never bored and was always challenged.”
Runners up: The Witness came close to taking our Firaxis’ latest alien RTS, but just fell short. For those into puzzle games over strategy-based titles, it’s one to check out.
STEVIVOR’S GOTY 2016
- Best virtual reality game: Nothing!
- Best action-adventure game: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Best re-released game: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Best role-playing game: Dark Souls III
- Best platform exclusive game: Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Best strategy game: XCOM 2
- Best shooter game: Battlefield 1
- Best sport game: Dirt Rally and Forza Horizon 3
- Wooden spoons: Way too many to name here
- Stevivor staff picks
- Reader’s choice: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End